TEACHING POSITIONS FOR JANUARY 2021
“I would like to start teaching overseas in January so that I can complete the school year”, this is something we hear regularly and particularly this time of year.
This makes complete sense from the point of view of the South African school calendar but not for the international school calendar.
Schools overseas start in September and have a 3-term calendar ending in July – so January is the start of the 2nd term and not the best time to start at a new school; there are only positions available for January start.
Here are some of the reasons why securing a position in January is a challenge:
- Teachers starting in January miss all the training and settling-in done with teachers that start in September; there is some training available, but you will need to hit the ground running.
- Teachers that start in January need to be aware that they will not get their full salary for the holiday months of July and August, this will be calculated pro-rata.
- If you have started in January, your end-of-service bonus will be calculated pro-rata once you complete your contract.
- Schools have very few positions available with a January start date as there is not much staff movement for them at this time.
- January vacancies are only sent to us late October/beginning November so if you are a departmental teacher it is very challenging to then provide the 3-month resignation period your current school will require.
Of course, overshadowing all of this is the current Covid-19 crisis. The comments above are still very applicable and relevant, but in these unprecedented times it is very difficult for us to predict what the recruitment requirements will be for January 2021.
We will use our Social Media platforms to keep our followers and teachers up-to-date about recruitment for 2021, so please keep an eye out.